Boys Boys Boys. . .

~Sept, 2012
We had some visitors over and of course A and E were bouncing off the walls. Head butting their legs, jumping on their back and freaking out. So I chucked them both in the kitchen and told them, "You are out of control." Angrily A turns to me, hands on his hips and snaps, "No Mom! YOU are out of control!"

~Aug. 2012
A comes up to me and tells me very officially, "Mom, I'm smarter than you. I'm not smarter than Dad, but I am smarter than you."

~July 4th, 2012
A and E were wrestling today and it was A's day. He was doing really good keeping his little brother subdued, although E put up a pretty good fight. Once they were finished, Daddy and I told E he did a really good job! He looked over at Daddy M angrily from the floor and said, "No, I din not!!" he flailed his arms on the ground and continued, "He's still alive!"

~June 2012
E and A were playing T-ball today with A's new gear. I of course laid down the rules. No hitting anyone with the bat. No swinging at the ball until every body and body part is clear. Simple enough. Not 5 minutes into it, I hear a blood curdling scream from A. E runs inside, eyes big, and says, "I din'n know what I was doing!" Big brother had a pretty good goose egg on his head.

Thanks for the Help

As most of you are aware, we're trying really hard to maintain our privacy on here, so if you can remember when you comment, to not use our real names if you know them, that would be great!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

My New and Special Experiences

As many of you may know, I have been taking a CNA class this semester instead of courses at BYU. I am not coming to the end of my class, and frankly, in my opinion, the BEST part of my class! I started clinicals this last Tuesday and I have actually really enjoyed it. I say it like that, because, yes, I wasn't so sure if I would have fun taking care of the elderly. This does not mean I wouldn't enjoy their company, but there are some dirtier things involved with residents that are in care facilities. I mean, they are there because they need help, not because they are completely capable of taking care of themselves.

During my first clinical I worked in the dementia wing. And I cannot say this enough- serving these people has filled my heart with love and happiness. Service does people good. It truly does. To those receiving the service as well as those giving it. I have to say that when people talk about that in church or just in general, that I would kind of smile and nod, because I really didn't believe it. I knew it made me feel good, but I didn't know how much it could make someone feel good.

I'll just share a few experiences on here. Tonight I met a 93 and 104 year old women. And it looks to me like they could truck along for a while more.

I came in contact with a resident with MRSA. I would tell you to google it, but I highly suggest you stay away from any images. It's basically a super bad bug. It's resistant to anything with -icillin at the end of it. penicillin is one we're most familiar with. But I guess modern medicine today uses a lot of drugs with -icillin in it. I know I'm not properly explaining that- sorry all you nurses out there. But basically all you have to know is when you have MRSA, it's nasty. It's highly communicable and you get it by contact. Thank gosh it's not air borne. Which means for me, that I get to wear gloves (which we always do anyway), a mask (even though it's not airborne, I'm not risking it) and then a yellow suit to keep me safe.

I was able to listen to a story by a dementia patient every time I crossed his path. I know all about the Colorado River now and how much fun it is to fish and hunt along those waters. I will have to admit, it makes me very sad to see these residents. The dementia patients are like little children. And I'm not talking about your ornery little 3-4 year olds. They're like your 1 year old. That obviously depends on how far into the disease they are. It was really hard for me to see them like that. Because it's this adult person, that is a shell of the human they used to be. I had a man I helped feed that could only really say 'yes' and 'no'. I was telling him about how Christmas is my favorite all time holiday and his face just lit up. He started to say "yes! yes! yes!" as he pointed to himself. He started to laugh and hug me. It was a special little moment for me, even to just get that man to smile. And I'm sure he'll never remember it. But I know I will.

I have been really scared lately that I wouldn't be a good CNA, but I feel like I might love this job more than I ever hoped I would.

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Oh yes.... You will do fine!! i believe that the spirit of Christ ... which is LOVE... is always around these wonderful elderly people. To me that is why my heart is always very tender when I am around them.