Boys Boys Boys. . .

~Sept, 2012
We had some visitors over and of course A and E were bouncing off the walls. Head butting their legs, jumping on their back and freaking out. So I chucked them both in the kitchen and told them, "You are out of control." Angrily A turns to me, hands on his hips and snaps, "No Mom! YOU are out of control!"

~Aug. 2012
A comes up to me and tells me very officially, "Mom, I'm smarter than you. I'm not smarter than Dad, but I am smarter than you."

~July 4th, 2012
A and E were wrestling today and it was A's day. He was doing really good keeping his little brother subdued, although E put up a pretty good fight. Once they were finished, Daddy and I told E he did a really good job! He looked over at Daddy M angrily from the floor and said, "No, I din not!!" he flailed his arms on the ground and continued, "He's still alive!"

~June 2012
E and A were playing T-ball today with A's new gear. I of course laid down the rules. No hitting anyone with the bat. No swinging at the ball until every body and body part is clear. Simple enough. Not 5 minutes into it, I hear a blood curdling scream from A. E runs inside, eyes big, and says, "I din'n know what I was doing!" Big brother had a pretty good goose egg on his head.

Thanks for the Help

As most of you are aware, we're trying really hard to maintain our privacy on here, so if you can remember when you comment, to not use our real names if you know them, that would be great!

Friday, July 30, 2010

Didn't your Mother ever tell you not to judge a book by it's cover?

Sometimes we humans make incorrect judgments. In all honesty, it's really not our fault. There are too many things out there we humans like to hide behind: humor, brains, brawn, shyness or rudeness. We humans, are easy to embarrass; you can be that popular outgoing girl, that brilliantly smart shy boy, that CEO with all the power, the crafty woman or the silly mother; you are easy to embarrass. Disagree? Look inside yourself and really dig deep to see what you're hiding from the world. 


Are you not that funny? and because so, you try not to joke? Are you depressed, but you don't believe in depression so you surround yourself with people to prove you're not feeling blue all the time? Are you tortured by critical parents, but say nothing because when you do talk, the critiquing begins? Are you a bad singer and try to hide it? What are you hiding? Why?


We all have problems, embarrassments and faults. In an ideal world, we would feel comfortable letting people know what is going on in our life, because their shoulders would be just as heavy as ours, if not greater. Whether those issues are big or small, it does not matter. To be honest, I think almost everyone (I say almost, because I don't think my 18 month old or 3 year old have too many deep seeded issues just yet or any secret embarrassments.) has those big issues embedded deep in their hearts as well as the smaller ones floating a bit closer to the surface. If people were just allowed to see those things we try to hide.... or in some cases not try to hide, but just don't mention, then I feel people would be more understanding.

I was lead to think about this today when I went in to take my 3rd chemistry exam and received 70%, if I would have missed 1 more question it would have been 65%, which was my last score. Thoroughly depressed, I cried (because that's what I do with my grades, I cry about them.), then I became angry. Why does a testing center close on the people that are already in there?? what kind of jerk does that to a person?? They could have done better if they had more time and didn't close the doors at 9pm. I felt I could have done better if I didn't have to guess on my last 5 questions.Part of the 5 that I probably missed, I'm sure. After anger, I became discouraged and depressed again. How can I get into nursing school if I can't even pass a *$%^*#!! chemistry exam! It's multiple choice for crap's sake! I at least have a 25% chance of getting the question right and if I use a bit of reasoning I could raise those odds to almost 50% all the time. After running my emotions through the gambit, I stopped to think a bit.

I may have only gotten 70% on my exam, but no one will know why I received that score. That score is not fair to who I am. The exam before, was taken the day after I found out my dad was in the ICU and I was able to pull a 65% out of my scattered brain. And then I went to class with this same soup brain and tried to retain information I needed for my next exam. Which was taken today and only had 1 more right question than my last exam. No one knows that yesterday I studied as much as I could with my kids; and then I went on a walk to the park with my family and played in a little stream with my boys. No one knows that today I studied as much as I could as well. But that I decided that running through the sprinklers with my 18 month seemed like a better use of my time. That part doesn't show up on an exam. Or maybe unfortunately it only shows up in the negative ways.

When I apply to the nursing program and they look back at my grades and see that for my chemistry class that one semester back in 2010 I got a C (don't actually know that, that's just where this semester feels like it's headed.), they won't be impressed.

But I think they should be. I played with my children. I dedicated my hours to my studies when I could, but my family came first. My 18 month old was nice and wet AND laughing hysterically as he was swung through the sprinklers in my arms. My 3 year old got to help throw rocks into a little stream and watch the water dance and I got to watch his eyes widen in fascination with each plop.

My 70% reflects who I am more than anyone knows. Sadly, it often reflects a lack of understand of the course materials-- which in my case, that is partially true, however it seems to also reflect struggling, disinterest, or a blasé attitude toward academics.

Maybe if people just told those little, or big secrets, no misunderstandings would be had. Maybe a nursing school would actually look at that grade and go, "wow, she did all of that and still pulled off a C? We want someone with that kind of dedication in our program." Because that's what I am, dedicated, with a side of two little children.  

2 comments:

Sheri said...

I love it... if there has a place on the exams to write-in your activities leading up to the test it would be great wouldn't it? Because REALLy... what you did that day with your family matters more than Chemistry, nursing school, tests, lectures, books etc. etc.

Sorry though that the test didn't go better than you would have liked.

We love ya ... whether you do great in Chemistry or just tweek by...

MOM

Kami said...

So true Jen! I think you should use this as one of your application essays when the time comes. I'm sorry the test didn't go well for you. You are still amazing!